We are a leading General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) Defence Barrister’s chambers with vast experience defending pharmacists and pharmacy technicians facing fitness to practise proceedings before the GPhC.
We have years of experience in acting for and representing pharmacists and pharmacy technicians in all matters and stages relating practise proceedings before the GPhC including:
- Applications for professional registration and appeals against decisions
- Advising on investigations and, where appropriate, interviews under caution
- Representation at interim orders hearings
- Written submissions to the investigating committee
- Representation before the fitness to practise committee
- Appeals against fitness to practice committee decisions
Understanding General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) investigations
The General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) regulates pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and registered pharmacy premises in England, Scotland and Wales ensuring that all pharmacists and pharmacy technicians are, and continue to be fit to practise.
Any complaints and/or allegations relating to the fitness to practise by pharmacists or pharmacy technicians could be referred to the GPhC for investigation and eventually formal action.
At the conclusion of an investigation, your case may be referred to the GPhC’s Investigating Committee. The Investigating Committee has wide ranging powers which include:
- taking no further action;
- issuing a warning;
- accepting undertakings;
- referring your case to the Fitness to Practise Committee; and
- directing that criminal proceedings should be commenced.
Fitness to Practise Committee
The GPhC’s Investigating Committee can refer your case to the GPhC’s Fitness to Practise Committee. If the Fitness to Practise Committee finds an allegation to be true, a pharmacist or pharmacy technician can face a number of sanctions:
- written warnings;
- conditions of practice;
- suspension from the GPhC register; or
- removal from the GPhC register
As experienced General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC) Defence Barristers, we understand the stress and serious implications for pharmacists or pharmacy technicians when facing a GPhC investigation.