Kings View Chambers Ltd. (trading as Kings View Medical Defence)
In this privacy statement, “us” refers to Kings View Chambers Ltd. including subsidiary websites referred to above.
Our contact details
Name: Stephen McCaffrey and Catherine Stock
Address: Data Protection Officer Kings View Chambers
5 St Johns Lane
Phone Number: 020 7060 1221
The type of personal information we collect
We currently collect and process the following information:
- Personal identifiers, contacts and characteristics (for example, name and contact details);
- In certain cases, special category information to help us deal with case work such as:
- physical or mental health details
- racial or ethnic origin
- political opinions
- religious, philosophical or other beliefs
- trade union membership
- sex life or sexual orientation
- genetic data
- biometric data
- criminal convicitons and/or other relevant criminal or regualtory history
- Employment details; and/or
- Any other information that might be necessary to deal with your case. We will seek explicit consent unless other overriding legal obligations apply.
How we get the personal information and why we have it
Most of the personal information we process is provided to us directly by you:
- Contacting us either directly or using a contact form on our website, social media or other advertising
- Information you disclose to us
- Information we gather from 3rd parties relevant to individual cases.
We will always seek you explicit consent for this unless other overriding legal obligations apply.
For personal informaiton that includes particularly sensitive information (“Special category information”), we rely on your consent for any processing. If you do not consent to processing, it is unlikely that we will be able to take your case because we need to be able to gather, retain and consider all the relevant information, material, facts and evidence about your case.
We will process your information for the purposes set out above including for recording keeping, marketing and to deal with you enquiry/case as individual circumstances dictate.
We may share this information with:
- Staff employed and contracted by us
- Regulatory bodies as part of the defence and response to your case. This disclosure will be in accordance with the individual regulatory body’s own data protection procedures and processes;
- Experts and other witnesses; and/or
- Courts and tribunals.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the lawful bases we rely on for processing this information are:
(a) Your consent. You are able to remove your consent at any time; and
(b) We have a contractual obligation; and
(c) We have a legal obligation.
How we store your personal information
Your information is securely stored on our case management and communication systems.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. For this purpose, we will not hold your personal data for any longer than is reasonable.
Further, we have taken reasonable steps to protect your information against unauthorised access and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, damage and destruction.
Nevertheless, any personal data submitted by you is at your own risk
Your data protection rights
Under data protection law, you have rights including:
- Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to object to processing – You have the the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to data portability – You have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you, in certain circumstances.
- You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
Please contact us at using the contact information listed above if you wish to make a request.
How to complain
If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to using the contact information listed above.
You can also complain to the ICO if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
ICO website: https://www.ico.org.uk
Users are advised that if they wish to deny the use and saving of cookies from this website onto their computer’s hard drive they should take necessary steps within their web browser’s security settings to block all cookies from this website and its external serving vendors or use the cookie control system if available upon their first visit.
Measuring Website Usage (Google Analytics)
We use Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use this website. We do this to help make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users and to help us make improvements.
Google Analytics stores information about:
• the pages you visit
• how long you spend on each page
• how you got to the site
• what you click on while you’re visiting the site
We don’t collect or store your personal information (for example your name or address) so this information can’t be used to identify who you are. We don’t allow Google to use or share our analytics data.
Downloads & Media Files
Any downloadable documents, files or media made available on this website are provided to users at their own risk. While all precautions have been undertaken to ensure only genuine downloads are available, users are advised to verify their authenticity using third party antivirus software or similar applications.
We accept no responsibility for third party downloads and downloads provided by external third-party websites and advise users to verify their authenticity using third party antivirus software or similar applications.
External Website Links & Third Parties
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website.
Social Media Usage
While we may have official profiles on social media platforms, users are advised to verify authenticity of such profiles before engaging with, or sharing information with such profiles.
There may be instances where our website features social sharing buttons, which help share web content directly from web pages to the respective social media platforms. You use social sharing buttons at your own discretion and accept that doing so may publish content to your social media profile feed or page.
We use Facebook Messenger as a communication tool. Please refer to Facebook’s Privacy Statement.
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
We use Mailchimp to send newsletters. When you subscribe to our mailing list, you will be required to give explicit consent for your information to be used for the purpose of sending you regular email updates as defined in this privacy statement.
Mailchimp servers are located in the United States. Mailchimp is part of the Privacy Shield framework. The European Commission deems the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework adequate to enable data transfers under EU law.
Last Updated: 04/07/2021